Friday, September 9, 2011

Finally, progress!


Well, the good news is I am actually improving, and rather rapidly as a matter of fact.  Less than a week ago I was stuck morning and night with the same food lest my mouth explode in a burst of pain.  But, almost overnight, I have been able to add all sorts of food successfully.  It began when Leslie made some delicious Pappardelle Alfredo, which went down very nicely.  So, I started to try other things—chow mein, string beans, bananas, onions, refried beans, Zachary's potatoes, nuts, watermelon (not juiced) and yogurt with blueberries.  In general, I don't eat junk food but I have a fondness for Jack-in-the-Box's taco and onion rings and McDonald's Big Mac and fries, so, yes, I bought and ate those.  Now, not everything went down easily, but nothing led to vicodin.  It's been about five days since my last eruption of intense mouth pain, so I clearly have turned a corner.  

Leslie and I actually ate the same meal at the same time yesterday.  That was the first time since early May.

And this improvement came just in the nick of time!  I leave for a month this coming Tuesday for DC (and a side trip to NYC). I am staying by myself in a friend's condo. I am so relieved that I won't have to cook every meal!  I hate to cook.

6 comments:

  1. I'm happy for you. You really needed to have food start to resemble real life again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good news! And perfectly timed for your trip. Nice note about you and Leslie eating the same meal.... sweet. Have a fun trip!
    Your pal Lisa SD

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a good news!Bravo pour ton rétablissement!!
    Gros bisous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd heard that things were looking hopeful from Leslie, but this confirms it. I hope you have a great trip back east, though it sounds like it will be a lot of work too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you but am of the same diagnosis as you. My Dr. has also prescribed radiation as a must, with chemo as a choice - no surgery whatsoever.
    My question to you is did you, like me, worry that the treatment plan was too conservative? I am so afraid that she has made this decision in an attempt to preserve my relatively youthful appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I so happy for you. Thanks for taking time to write this article.

    ReplyDelete