Friday, July 8, 2011

Mucus/Mucous

Just wanted to drop in with this for those that don't know. 

Mucus: A thick slippery fluid produced by the membranes lining certain organs such as the nose, mouth, throat, and vagina. Mucus is the Latin word for "a semifluid, slimy discharge from the nose." Note that mucus is a noun while the adjective is mucous.

Now, I wrote correctly about my mucus, but most people wrote back about the mucous (using it as a noun) as if I had blown the spelling. I just wanted to point out that I had it right.

You can tell I am back to my normal self, right?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's confusing. Mucus is the slimy stuff but it's from mucous membranes. I admit that in my years of nursing, I often got it wrong. Medicine if full of little confusions like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I should have previewed before I posted. I hate seeing typos when it's too late!

    ReplyDelete