Saturday, June 25, 2011

The mucus one...


Ok, I have been talking about mucus for a long time now. Promising the full story. So I guess this is the time. If you don't like mucus-talk, stop reading now.

When I read all the tonsil cancer blogs, everybody seemed to agree that the worst thing about the experience was the mucus. So, for instance:

Clearing my throat can be tough, and the mucus frequently makes me gag. Especially when I’ve been sleeping or napping. I’ll wake up with a great deal of mucus and have to make dash to the bathroom so I can breath normally. UGH. The swish and swallow helps, but the mucus remains a real bummer at this point.

I had a problem with the mucus causing gag reflex issues and vomiting even with using the pump and the rinses.

I have to sleep in a chair or I wake up with mucus flooding my throat and I end up vomiting it up.

So, I knew it was coming!

Essentially, it is a byproduct of mucositis, which is an inflammation of the mucous membrane that lines the digestive track. In the case of radiation of the throat, the mucositis is generally throughout the mouth and throat. It gets worse over time and peaks after the treatments are over (cause the throat is still "cooking"). It really wasn't bad at all until the hospital, but now it is as advertised. If I had never gotten sick, I am sure it wouldn't have gotten as bad as it has, but that's life.

The mucus just pours out of the mouth most of the day. Usually it just oozes out in a foamy form and it is easy to clear through spitting into a cup or tissue. I go through about 1 ½ rolls of toilet paper a day. It's annoying but really not that big a deal.

I fill up a couple of bags a day of mucus-filled toilet paper

But then there are the bad times: a really a thick mucus in the throat. As I try to cough this stuff up, sometimes it won't come up (hence dry heaves) or sometimes it comes up in rather massive quantities that are sort of amazing, sometimes with accidental vomit. People on the blogs call it “ropey mucus” because it certainly does stick together well. It is very unpleasant and these attacks have been happening two to four times a day. As the mucositis clears, it will clear. But, the mucositis doesn't tend to begin to clear for a couple of weeks after the last treatment. Again, I should start improving around July 1st.

Beyond the toilet paper and the cup to spit in, I also have a suction machine to help clear the mucus. Whatever I use, it remains very unpleasant.

Sucking it up with my toilet paper roll always nearby...
One of the biggest problems is that food makes it worse. So, it is a powerful disincentive to eat. And, of course, I am completely uninterested in food in any case except intellectually. I don't have an appetite. But, I know that I really need to eat to rebuild my strength. This dilemma weighs on me every day. Mucus attack? or Nutrients?

Eating is really, really tedious. It takes at least an hour to eat a meal. It isn't that it hurts. It is just that I have to psych myself up for each bite. Plus, if I eat too fast, the "accidental vomit" will more likely happen.

I try to have all food eaten by around 5 pm so the mucus can calm down before I go to sleep. I generally knock myself out with a "PM pain reliever" and an Ativan. So far, I sleep through the night and haven't woken up with mucus problems at night like many people. In this way, I am quite lucky.

The reason I haven't really wanted visitors is because of the mucus attacks. I really don't want to be around anyone when I have them. (Leslie is so used to them that she is an exception, though I don't like her to see me going through it, of course.)

Sorry if this is an anti-climax. Earlier on, I had thought about taking some really gross pictures but decided that was too disgusting. I think this gives you enough information.

Anyway, the good news is I am up and about. I even mowed the lawn yesterday. So, I am getting there! Really I am. I will let you know when this part fades away. I am doing everything I can to speed recovery along but it just takes time.

11 comments:

  1. PHOTOS! We want PHOTOS!
    Actually, we don't; at least, I don't, but it was fun to pretend.

    Your post does remind me of an odd bit I saw Kathy Griffin do. It was about obsessions. Apparently, there is a tv show called "My Strange Addiction" on which a woman EATS toilet paper

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1340884/My-Strange-Addiction-Sleeping-blow-dryer-eating-toilet-paper.html

    So, I think as long as you don't eat the paper, not to mention the mucus, most people who love you would be fine with the yuckky yorkking up of mucus INTO toilet paper. That said, have visitors when you want them, of course. :-)

    xo from your strange fan.

    ps Love all the discs arrayed behind you. It's a beautiful backdrop for the slime--got any Zappa back there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo the first poster's comment: really we are FINE without photos: your descriptions are so vivid. Also mowing is pyschologically refreshing, n'est-ce pas?
    glad you are chugging through and taking care of yourself, young lady. hugs Lisa D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you must have lot of energy to mow the lawn! I am not there yet. Hope the mucus journey will end soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a small lawn. I have very little energy. Trying to do some exercise every day, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its inspiring to see you here in this !!And it is really gonna work among the sufferers!! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got an email from a man who doesn't have cancer, but does have excess mucous. He tried many things and one things worked for him so I thought I would share it with anyone who stumbles onto this in the future with the same problem:

    I have an air conditioner in my bedroom and I would be "clamming" uptons of mucus, but miraculously, I found that putting the air on at 60 or so degrees F immediately
    stopped the phlegm from even producing, a few minutes in the cool/cold air conditioner air, and all I could spit up was a very small amount of white, foamy mucus I guess. I have been using the air for 2 weeks now and it seems to be the only way to stop it, at least temporarily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sitting here looking at my waste basket full of tissue and paper towels so now you know I am going thru the same thing 5 months post radiation and chemo. Thanks for this cold room info. This will be easy for me to try as I live in Michigan. The "witch doctors " now want to chase a small spot in my lung . I am too sick with this mucas problem to even consider a biopsy. I feel so bad for my wife, my caregiver. She is so healthy and beautiful for her age (60) . I feel lie I am repressing her life . Some days I wish the Lord would just take me . Knowing there are many others suffering like this doesn't give me much comfort.

      Delete
  7. I am one year out of treatment for tonsil cancer and am still having problems with excess mucus. I just had a scan of my chest and it shows fluid in my lungs, not sure if this is a build up of the mucus, but I know that my sink is constantly plugged from all the Mucus I cough up - and I eat no dairy or gluten and only turkey and chicken.. Does anyone else have the same side effects after 35 radiations to the neck??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robin, I to am amazed to read your story. I finished Rad. Dec 7th. I had not a sign of mucus through my 40 rounds of Rad and chemo. I just recently about six weeks ago having a clear drainage. Nothing that would call for a machine. To suck it out. (God bless you). I'm. More concerned about my ears became totally blocked and I have tried everything. I also have swelling under my chin. Any advice you have for me would be so helpful. Keep your head up!!! And do keep your sinse of humor it's either that or jump off a cliff!!! Right? ???

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am one week out of radiation for tonsil cancer. The endless clearing of the throat due to excessive mucus is not only disgusting but tiresome. I. Ant st, drink or swallow. Throat is still sore from radiation for tonsil cancer hpv.
    Help.When will this end?

    ReplyDelete