Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Really, it's not that bad!

I read the comments after the last post and I thought, damn, it wasn't all that bad!  I was chilled and, Laura is completely right, I hate that.  But I get chilled a lot, which is why I want to live in Hawaii more.  But, the water/feet trick did work! I am a little worried that this is something that the pills won't kick out...but no matter what, I will be fine, I will be laughing. Just with a few tears and a large dollop of whining throw in from time to time. 

So, today, I did the hydration thing at the oncologist office.  They sent me home with the IV fixings still in my arm so I can do it again tomorrow. The fever just dried me up. I told you I would stay hydrated one way or another.

And here are some really good things:

I can't do cocktail hour with Leslie, but Boston Legal in bed has taken its place.  We let Denny Crain and Alan Shore drink the cocktails  and we just watch (and, sometimes, Leslie joins them)

We get to return to our home in 7 days!!!!

Only 8 more radiations to go.

Ziggy gets to have doggie playdates in two days.

And—drumroll, please—no more chemos!  My ears have been buzzing more than after the first dose of cisplatin, so we decided to drop the third one to limit hearing damage. This is very common and both Dr. Yen and Dr. McMullen said that they don't think it will change anything in my outcome.  In other words, they do overkill.  So, it will just be kill instead.

Seriously, I am doing fine.  Don't be sad!  Leslie, on the other hand, may need your sympathy.  She has to put up with me.

6 comments:

  1. You're in the tough part of it, but there is an end in sight now. And the even closer end in sight of getting home! Leslie was filling us in on the chemo aspect at the Finnegans Wake meet and she seems to be handling it well too. But good luck to both of you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, so glad you sprung for a thermometer...and next time don't wait so long to call the doctor. That's what they are there for.Meanwhile, it will be SO nice to be back in your own cozy nest, with your charming backyard, and all your STUFF. love you dear pal-Lisa Sweet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, this is great that you are done with chemo. I think it is rare that a patient can do the whole treatment the doctors plan initially. I do hope you won't loose more hearing. Cisplatin can be nasty regarding this side effect.

    Hang in there for radiation. Even though it doesn't hurt, it is annoying to go there every day. Soon, you will be on the road to recovery and full health. And back to Hawaii, hopefully! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,

    I really don't think I waited too long. Leslie and I gave careful consideration to what the best course of action was. Sure, when it got bad on Monday night, I could have called the oncologist(or is that on-call-logist), who would have said go the hospital, and then I would have been there unnecessarily and unhappily. By waiting 6 hours, my doctors were in control and not some person at the hospital who knew nothing about my situation. And I didn't have to wake someone I like. Having been on-call for 15 years of my life 24/7, I am really sensitive to this decision. Neither Dr. Yen or Dr. McMullen thought I acted stupidly, given all the factors. They both know I am rational—Dr. McMullen says I am an "A+" patient—and they treat me as such. Also, the whole if you have x, do y is all lawyer-induced CYA and I will not be part of that stupidity. If I had it to do over again, I would do the same thing. Just wanted to make my case! I know you are just wanting the best for me but Leslie and I are pretty clear on what that is...Trust me!
    Love you!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin and Leslie: I've been thinking about both of you. Glad the feet-in-hot-water trick helped. Congratulations on finishing chemo! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there, Trooper(s) x 2: Robin and Leslie. Congratulations on completing chemotherapy. I'm sending you Los of warm, toasty thoughts to keep any future chills away. Be well soon!

    ReplyDelete