Thursday, May 26, 2011

19 down/ 16 to go (radiation treatments, that is)

Short version:

I'm doing amazingly well and my side effects are all quite manageable now.  But, it will probably get worse soon.  Chemo tomorrow.  (Question: does anybody just read the short version?)

Long version:

So, I am near the end of the 4th week and doing extremely well, really. I have got the eating thing now managed to avoid most pain, and I am not usually in any pain when I am not eating.  If only it would be this easy the rest of the way…


But, alas, everyone who has written about their experience on the internet has said that by the fifth week, the radiation side-effects really begin to take their toll. Let’s review some of them, shall we?

  • Fatigue
  • Mouth sores  (also from the chemo)
  • Neck burn exterior (and interior)
  • Hair loss where radiated (on the neck line)
  • Loss of taste, appetite
  • Weight loss
  • Thickened saliva
Let me take them one by one:

Fatigue
I am, indeed, getting fatigued towards the late afternoon. Leslie gets weird when I say: “I’m tired”.  She wants to know exactly what are the symptoms of this thing I call tired.  Do you feel sleepy? Yes  Is it more than that? Yes  What is the more? I don’t know…I’m too tired to have this discussion. She seems happy, though, when I call it lethargic.  Does this explain it to you all?  I hope so.

Mouth sores
My mouth had been holding steady, but today I got another mouth sore.  So, yeah, it could get worse. Last night, I didn’t take the vicodin, but it might be back on today…My mouth is much worse in the evening, so I am eating anything that is a little challenging early in the day.  That said, I am swallowing normally and that isn’t painful. 

Neck burn
Last night, as Leslie and I were doing our usual cuddling, she said: “Your neck is getting red”.  Yes, but it doesn’t hurt or itch at the moment.  


I don't know if you can see it, but red splotches are forming on my neck and face.  Later pictures will be way more obvious, I am sure.

Hair loss
Yes, the hair is falling out.  This doesn’t bother me in the least, as it is just at the bottom of my neck and it doesn’t hurt.  In fact, this is kinda fun.  I have never, ever done anything to my hair besides get it cut.  It will be amusing to get this new ‘do.  And, I don’t have to pay someone for the work. 

This was the first hair that came out


Loss of taste and appetite
Beyond salt and sugar being wonky, I can still taste pretty well and I have a normal appetite.  I haven’t lost any weight at this point. I do plan to use this opportunity to drop about 15 pounds (remember that I gained about 5 pounds to fatten up for this process, so I am actually wanting to shed that plus an additional 10 pounds). For now, I am trying to keep my weight up.

Yeah, 15 pounds seems about right.
Thickened saliva
This is going to be a blog post all it’s own at some point.  But, yes, this is certainly a major, and rather disgusting, side effect that I do have. 



All this, of course, will be compounded by the chemo, which is to resume tomorrow.  I will let you know how I am faring sometime during the weekend.

6 comments:

  1. I especially like the last photo here, w/accompanying caption. Your blog is wonderful, Robin. Informative, educating, and funny. I can't imagine anyone just reading the short version. Love, hugs, and kisses to my three beloved girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got a little lost in finding this again, so finaly put it in my blog roll, which works fine. The short version is great for that aspect, by the way, as I get a quick take if I'm just looking at what to read later.

    Good luck with the hard middle part, but you sound up for it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Laura said, I can't imagine anyone reading the short version.

    I wonder if the thickened saliva is a general chemo reaction. I remember having interesting mucus (mucous?) issues all through my digestive track. I could pinch my nostrils together, and they would stick. Gross! Molly thought it was hilarious at the time. I never had a full-on yeast infection in my mouth, but it was threatening.

    I feel for all your eating/drinking restrictions and reactions. My dad is also getting chemo now (and had radiation a month or so ago, and mouth sores were his biggest complaint. I'm sorry for your pain and lethargy. This, too, will pass. Just not soon enough! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the long version, too. Once or twice, when I thought I would just do a quick check in and read the short version, I simply couldn't do it. I would read the short version and find myself in want of more detail, more explanation, and photos with explanatory or witty captions. I love the blog, I love the long version, and I love that I get to check in and see how you're doing...and read your most excellent writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin,

    I will be thinking of you today with the booster shot. It will probably be another good blog's subject right there.

    Good luck and keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. short version just invites more questions than it answers. Sometimes the longer version is too short and I am looking for the longest version---think the ring cycle---why end in 2 hours when you could keep singing for 4 hours?


    Ms. Poles Aka Tina

    ReplyDelete