Saturday, May 7, 2011

Awesome radiation machine!


I am sure that this will change when the radiation burns show up, when my throat is aching, when I and can no longer eat solid foods, and my mouth is full of sores, but I love my radiation machine!  I feel like I am in a sci-fi movie whenever I am there. (Leslie thinks, specifically, sick bay on the Enterprise.)  Yesterday, Leslie took some shots of me and the state-of-the art machine. (For those who don't want the words, just the pictures, scroll down...) The reason the Stanford radiologist said that the treatment was just as good in Santa Cruz is because they have the same one.  The technique is called IMRT, which uses three-dimensional imaging.  Here is the Mayo Clinic’s description of the process.


Because this machine is more accurate and more nuanced, my neck area will not be the “scorched earth” effect of the traditional one-dimensional techniques and is the state-of-the-art for three-dimensional techniques. (I don't know what I am talking about, so don't trust this stuff, but I think it is true.) The side effects are all the same, but just less.  Here’s hoping! 

The radiation is amazing!  I can barely see the tumor anymore.  It was very red and very easy to see five days ago.  I gather I am going to have a pretty big divet in my throat.  It will heal.

By the way, I love my radiologist oncologist, Dr. Kim.  We both have puppies so we did dog bonding.  And all the staff down there at Santa Cruz Radiation Oncology are great. 

I hope you enjoy the photos!  I love them. If you want to (re)read the companion blog about getting this all set up, go here. Thanks, Leslie!

A good view of the formed-to-me head rest.

The mouthpieces and tubes are the first to go in.   They are protecting my fillings and tongue with this get-up.  Mask on the way...

The techs synching my mask down. The main thing is they have to exactly recreate my position daily and I can't move.

I'm holding tight on to ropes on each side that keep me firmly in place, with the comfy knee thing to help my back.  To the left are the two devices that take the images while the zapper does its magic.


Come on!  Is that not sci-fi? I have gotten used to the mouth piece (just don't put it too far down the throat is the key!) and I have never minded the mask.  Yes, I get to keep the mask.  It will be great to use in some future Krapp Family Players production, right? (For those who don't know, that is the nickname of the Karst home-theater group in which we have re-enacted many a musical.  I think we should do Dr. Horrible next.  This will work perfectly for one of the Evil League of Evil!)

My view when the zapper or imagers aren't over me.  See the green crosshairs?

I'm all set to go! Let the zapping begin.

This photo of the zapper can't begin to tell you how cool it is. When it is directly over me (they usually zap in about 8 positions), I get to see the ray change and it is absolutely trippy.  The sounds that come out of it are also really cool.  It just mesmerizes me.  And, it is healing me.  Gotta love that zapper.  (I get that I am saying this in week one, but truly, it is a wonderful, wonderful thing.)


The rad tech monitoring my treatment.  Five screens.  Impressive.
This is my new look (or part of it.) I have to try to keep my neck out of the sun as I will already get plenty burnt.  Darien lent me one of her hats (thanks!) to help.  Angela is giving me a scarf.  When Darien and I worked together at Kresge, the students often couldn't tell us apart—the fact that we do not look alike notwithstanding.  I can imagine that if I walked up there today, people would get confused again.  They are a bit lame that way.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Robin--you are amazing. It's great you're writing this; it makes it easier to fathom facing it, if one had to, from your description. Well, maybe not the mouth thing and maybe not week three--but really, you make it completely tangible and demystified and also surreal enough to be interesting.

    And I love the pic of you in Darien's hat...

    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely sci-fi! With a bit of Frankenstein tossed in. It is very amazing. But not nearly as amazing as you! Love you!!!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you managed to make me laugh about radiation treatments! Where can I get one of those personalized head-rests? The hat is great and definitely reminded me immediately of Darien.

    Love & hugs,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love information -- it always helps me get through medical treatment. Looks as if you're the same. When you are well, it will be cool to look back in years future and see what you made it through!

    Best to you and Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending lots of love to you and Leslie. The face net with laser accents reminds me of Schwarzenegger in Total Recall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robin,

    Elizabeth just sent me this link! Man, you are so alive that you even love your radiation machine. You are the poster child for Bernie Segal! You amaze me. Love to you and Leslie.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete