Sunday, May 8, 2011

What's next

I thought an overview would be helpful now.  I want to remind everyone that my prognosis is great.  I am not going to die of this thing, so you need not worry about that. However, to make sure that I don't die, the treatment protocol is quite grueling.

The bottom line is I feel normal right now.  The side effects of the first chemo have ended and I am back to feeling great, no pain or problems.  This should last through the week and into the next.  However, I have read a lot of blogs of people who have had the same treatment protocol and I know what is coming and when. The side effects of the radiation don't tend to become prominent until towards the end of the third week.   At that point, on May 20th, I will also get my next chemo.  So, count me out of partying from that point until somewhere around the middle of July.  Even then, I will be far from 'normal' eating and energy-wise.  (Jess, I am planning to come to your party if I am at all able, though.  Graduating!!!  Come on, I really don't want to miss that.)

I will have four more weeks of treatment after May 20th, and it will become progressively worse. At some point, I will not be able to eat solid food. I will lose my appetite. I will have a very dry mouth and it will be a struggle to stay properly hydrated (but I can drop by the chemo lounge for hydration as necessary). I will be very tired.  And I could have a host of other problems.  Many people end up with a feeding tube if they lose too much weight and to make it easier. Leslie will make the call on that one.  I will slowly start to recover after my treatment's end, on June 17th.  But, it will be about a month after that before I will really have great progress.

I don't plan to blog again this week because there will be no big change.  Just know I am my usual happy, perky self.  Having lots of fun with the dog and Leslie and friends. 

When I hit that bad 6-week period, what can you do to help?  Send me things via email that make me laugh.  I like black comedy, so no holds barred. Offer to take the dog from Leslie so she can get a break from time to time. And, we would love it if we can get some volunteers to help us quickly and painlessly move back into our home on the afternoon of June 15th (it's a Wednesday.)  It shouldn't take long, as we don't have much.

Ok, that's it!  Signing off for this week at least.  I love you all!

3 comments:

  1. Robin,

    Holy crap! (and many other expletives)

    If you need anything and I mean ANYTHING, you call me. I owe you.

    -Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lived closer, but I will stay in touch by email. I'm glad you're getting a bit of a break for now. I think the fresh juice will really help! I love veggie juice and really miss the New Leaf juice bar in Felton. Around here, I have only been able to find fruit smoothies, and I don't care much for those. That is what I miss most about California––the food. I sure hope you regain your sense of taste so you can continue to enjoy all the wonderful food that Leslie makes!

    Love you,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be available to help you move. Our van may make it easier.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete